A Burqa Across Australia – in Pictures

THE GUARDIAN
By Fabin Muir
Fabian Muir: ‘The idea for the series came to me while I was in Australia last year. My work had been very focused on post-Soviet areas from the Baltic to central Asia. Something inside me said it was time to do something on my homeland.’ Photographs: Fabian Muir
AUSTRALIA---Before Australia’s parliament backed down from a controversial decision to segregate women wearing facial coverings in its public galleries, photographer Fabian Muir set out on a 10,000km journey to photograph the burqa in landscapes across Australia. The resulting work appears in his series Blue Burqa in a Sunburnt Country. [link]

‘I’m fond of this image but as you might imagine, I was getting some curious looks while popping the burqa over my head with the camera in my hand on Bondi. That said, there were no objections, just one kid who said he came from Kabul.’
"As a photographer, I believe in the ability of the still image to have an immediate impact and impart a powerful message. I’m hoping the images in this series go some way to addressing complex issues in a nuanced and poetic way.’